Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Iron Queen - The Iron Fey #3 - Julie Kagawa



“I wished that, for once, faery tales – real faery tales, not Disney fairy tales – would have a happy ending.” 

I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.



After the disappointment of the second book, I was a little weary to go into this final part of the story of the Iron Fey. But I was relieved to find that I liked it a lot more than the previous one! I felt more of a connection to the characters and there were a little less eye-rolling moments. I still don’t like Meghan that much, though. Which is a problem since she’s the main character.
The reason I liked this one better than the second book, is because Ms Kagawa gave a fabulous spin to the story and created an ending I didn’t expect at all.

Although I already guessed the identity of the false king in the second book, that didn’t bother me all that much. Yes, it would have been nice if it had been a little less obvious, but hey, the ending was still really, really good.
As to the many comments I made about the romance drama in this series: the love triangle has somewhat abated and although I still can’t understand why Meghan would fall for Ash instead of Puck, I was ok with it. If she doesn’t want him, all the more Puck for me, I guess!

Once again this was a very entertaining book, with some humor and great situations (like the flying beetles, how great was that? I’d like to ride one of those, one of these days!). The book reads very smoothly,  as do the other two in the series. I also really like the way Ms Kagawa describes the landscapes and curious creatures in the NeverNever, she has a talent for writing captivating descriptions.
The one thing that really annoys me about these books, is the repetitive mentioning of certain things. For example: Grimalkin is washing his paws… AGAIN. Ash is brooding… AGAIN. It’s really annoying and it takes the smooth flow out of the story at some points.

My conclusion about the whole Iron Fey series: it wasn’t that bad, it was better than the Trylle trilogy for example, and I really liked the story in the first and last book, but it lacks the quality I’m looking for in my books. I’ve been thinking about that for some time now and I’m wondering if I’ve just outgrown YA books or if it’s the quality of the YA books these days that doesn’t meet the expectations. I have the feeling most YA authors want to put in elements that have been popular in other books, but by doing this they lose a lot of their real potential and their own identity.
But then again, maybe it IS just me getting older, and that’s just scary!

Rating:




No comments:

Post a Comment