Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Songstikal Takeover - "The Warrior Heir" review

I asked Wauter to read "The Warrior Heir" by Cinda Williams Chima (one of his first Fantasy books ever!) and to write his feelings about the book down as some sort of review. I chose "The Warror Heir" because I think it's a really accessible Fantasy book, definitely when you've never read Fantasy before. Wauter asked me if I could find him a book that had a more contemporary feel to it, so the Heir Chronicles were the first books that came to mind. Cinda is a wonderful author, I've recommended her to all my Fantasy reading friends and they all loved her books to bits. So I was sure Wauter would appreciate her books too. You can read his thought below!

Release Date: February 27th, 2007
Publisher: Hyperion
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 426
Format: Paperback

Source: Bought


An epic battle between good and evil...

Before he knew about the Roses, 16-year-old Jack lived an unremarkable life in the small Ohio town of Trinity. Only the medicine he has to take daily and the thick scar above his heart set him apart from the other high schoolers. Then one day Jack skips his medicine. Suddenly, he is stronger, fiercer, and more confident than ever before. And it feels great - until he loses control of his own strength and nearly kills another player during soccer team tryouts.

Soon, Jack learns the startling truth about himself: he is Weirlind, part of an underground society of magical people who live among us. At their helm sits the feuding houses of the Red Rose and the White Rose, whose power is determined by playing The Game - a magical tournament in which each house sponsors a warrior to fight to the death. The winning house rules the Weir.

As if his bizarre heritage isn't enough, Jack finds out that he's not just another member of Weirlind - he's one of the last of the warriors - at a time when both houses are scouting for a player.


Wauter's thoughts:

The one thing I’ll really keep in mind is that this book is called a Fantasy book but all the issues are very contemporary and could be taken right out of the real world.
Troubles with love and partners are the things I think of immediately! Haven’t we all been once in the situation Jack is in the book? Falling in love with a new person but having your ex-partner being just around the corner begging you to take him or her back… I’ve been through it one time, oh please, save me from getting there again!
Also the fact of different groups wanting to be the best and not fearing anything to accomplish their goals… It really makes me think of all the big companies and industries fighting each day to be the biggest and to earn the most money. And why? Sometimes it just becomes a game and that brings me back to the book again!

I’m so happy such a thing like ‘The Game’ doesn’t exist in my world! It’s horrible! But I guess fights are just the ‘usual shit’ in Fantasy books, aren’t they?
It’s a pity! Harming such a hot body like Jack’s… Why would somebody do that? I mean, I can’t complain but if I could exchange bodies with him… Hell yeah, I would! Even his scarf has the shape of a star. That really says everything! Of course it’s also the fact that he is a heroic Warrior which makes him such a catch! What would a girl want from a well-muscled nerd? Maybe some copies of school tasks but believe that’s not what Ellen is looking for! Jack has a crush on Ellen who is a new student at Trinity High School and, you know, I’ve always liked her more than Leesha, his ex. If it’s over, it’s over. No matter what, on that certain moment there were some good reasons to end the relationship and one should never forget that. So I was constantly reading the book thinking ‘Common Jack, go for Ellen!’.

This was actually the first Fantasy book I’ve ever read. I was a bit afraid to start reading it ‘cause I normally don’t read a lot and if I do I always chose very realistic stories… Not really what Fantasy is about of course… Luckily I liked it! The book even has a lot of ‘real’ elements which made it very realistic for me.

I’ve heard that his is Chima’s first book ever? Well, what a start of a career! Lots of respect for her! If this is her first little fantasy baby, then her other books must be even better, no? Maybe it’s time for me to read some more of her books…

No comments:

Post a Comment